It is time to slip on your flip-flops, unroll your picnic blankets, fire up the grill and soak up the sun. Summer is here!
Here is a colourful salad recipe that is a perfect accompaniment to grilled vegetables or meat. It is a light, fresh, and easy-to-make salad that can be packed up and whisked away to a summer potluck at a friend’s place. Or take it to a family picnic by the river. I personally love to eat it with grilled merguez sausages – the flavours work so well together.
- 1½ cups basmati rice
- 500 g natural Greek yogurt
- 1 medium onion, minced
- ½ of a thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 green or red chilli, sliced (optional for some heat)
- 1 packet fresh chives, chopped fine
- 1 cup sliced grapes
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 tsp. black mustard seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 3 Tbs. oil
- Salt to taste
- Cook your rice and let it cool down; then fluff the rice with a fork. Once the rice is completely cool put it into a salad bowl and pour the yogurt over.
- Throw in the grated carrots, sliced grapes, half of the chopped chives and the pomegranate seeds. Set aside.
- Mince the onion, finely slice the chillies and grate the bit of ginger.
- Heat the oil in a deep saucepan; then cook the cumin and mustard seeds till they crackle and pop. Lower the heat.
- Throw in the onion, chillies and ginger. Sauté on low heat till the onions are translucent.
- Add the onion mixture to the salad bowl with the rice, yogurt and fruit. Sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Give it all a good mix and garnish with the rest of the chives and some pomegranate seeds.
Recipe and photo by Maria de Conceicao Wittwer
Maria is a mother of two and lives in the Baden region of Aargau. Besides looking after her tiny humans and working as a freelance copy editor and content creator, she is also pursuing her two passions, cooking and photograph. Find her culinary creations over here @CurryOnCooking.ch on Instagram.